Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An Easy Way to Fit In Exercise While Traveling


I find one of the hardest things to keep up with when I travel is daily exercise. Time changes, jet lag, social events,, and new and unfamiliar locations make it difficult to fit in some exercise. So MY favorite thing to do while traveling is walking. Actually, its my favorite exercise at home too. Its easy on the joints and muscles, needs no equipment except good walking shoes (more on this later), and you can do it anywhere! My new favorite item is my Step Counter or Pedometer and I love the new popular goal of doing 10,000 steps a day. Studies show that walking at least 10,000 steps a day insures you are getting enough activity to get all the great benefits of regular daily exercise. I use my pedometer at home every day and I love to challenge myself to see if I can get at least 10,000 steps a day. I find that on a trip, it is often even easier to reach my 10,000 steps a day goal. Last month when I was in Hawaii, even on the laziest of days I got to at least 12,000 steps. Walking to the beach, walking to restaurants, and even shopping added up ,my steps really quickly.. And that didnt even count the activity I did in the ocean snorkeling , swimming and paddle boarding. I have to say that Hawaii is an easy vacation to fit in a fair amount of daily exercise, but if you set you mind to it, you can easiy reach that 10,000 step goal every day! ANYWHERE!


Try it at home first before you leave on your trip. My favorite pedometer is the Omron. It is the top seller on Amazon right now, and I love it too! Take a look...
http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digital-Pocket-Pedometer/dp/B0000U1OCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398279110&sr=8-1&keywords=omron+pedometer

There are also some books available about the benefits of reaching 10,000 steps a day for good health. I havent read these books, but you might want to
http://www.amazon.com/000-Steps-Your-Optimal-Weight/dp/1566252873/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398279197&sr=8-1&keywords=10%2C000+steps

Doctors recommend a minumum of 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week for optimum health





No comments:

Post a Comment